Everyone deserves a quick getaway whether near or far to explore a new environment. Why not kill two birds with one stone, and try out a new possible area to live in Philadelphia? Whether you’re from Philly, there are plenty of historical, modern, elevated short-term rentals to give you a taste of living in different areas of the city.
Check out our list of tips for renting and the unique homes in the area to try before you buy!
Tips & Tricks for Rentals
Business terms of service and policies are undoubtedly fluid. This can leave consumers feeling confused and frustrated if expectations are not met and these tips we hope will help prevent those situations! See below our tips and tricks to help you book a short-term rental.
- To use Airbnb or Vrbo, you need to be at least 18 years of age.
- As of the summer of 2020, Airbnb established a new rule that restricts some U.S. guests under the age of 25 from booking an entire home in their local area. This was in an effort to reduce the number of unauthorized house parties. In summary, U.S. guests under 25 with less than three positive reviews are not able to book an entire home close to their place of residence. However, those under 25 that don’t meet those requirements are still able to book private rooms and hotel rooms through Airbnb regardless of where they live.
- Airbnb also uses an anti-party sensor to detect reservations at risk. This year, Airbnb developed a new technology to get a sense of each potential guest. For instance, the app will track the history of reviews, length of trip, how far away the guest is from the destination, what time of the week he or she is booking, and more. This is all in an effort to identify possible risks for private homeowners.
- Before looking, narrow down what area you would like to stay in, how many people you’re staying with, how many bedrooms you need, etc. Know what you’re looking for before diving in. The filters on Vrbo and Airbnb will help you find listings with your requirements without getting overwhelmed by too many options.
- The factors around renting a home vary from property owner to property owner. At some locations, you may be allowed a more lenient cancelation policy. At others, you may be allowed to pay half of the price before the trip and the rest to follow. Pets, check-in, check-outs, and more will vary as well. Furthermore, on Vrbo, the minimum age to rent will vary from rental to rental. Be sure to thoroughly read through the rental description and if you have any questions, message the host.
- Renting a home is different than renting a hotel. If you need new towels or sheets, you must wash them. The same goes for toilet paper, soap, trash bags, etc. If you expect to use a lot for the number of people you have, pack some of these essentials.
- Read reviews! Don’t judge a booking by only its beautiful decor and views. Make sure to read the reviews, especially the most recent ones. If a guest acknowledges a problem, take note if the owner responds. You don’t want to be dealing with more than you bargained for upon arrival.
A Sneak Peak at Living in Philadelphia
Bright and Boho South Philly Luxury Row Home
Stay with six guests in the neighborhood of Lower Moyamensing to experience living the city life! This location has easy access to the Broad Street Subway line to take you downtown to the city or adventure on a quick walk to the Stadium District, Live Casino, Navy Yard, or East Passyunk. It’s a newly renovated home that comfortably sleeps four but can accommodate up to six people. Enjoy this spacious and young vibey home to get to know the city.
360-Degree View Townhouse
Stay outside the city’s center in South Philly with a view of the city skyline and sports stadium nearby! This modern townhouse fits eight guests with three bedrooms and three and a half baths. It also features a patio off the kitchen to enjoy a nice cup of morning coffee or dinner with friends and family. This comfy Airbnb is conveniently located a quick train ride to Center City or a walk to Passyunk Avenue that’s filled with delicious restaurants and bars.
Sunset on the Patio
Photo Credit: Host Gabrielle
Comfy 2 Bedroom Home
Explore Bala Cynwyd and the city at this two-bedroom home with a maximum of four guests. The second floor of the home comes with an equipped kitchen, central heat and air, two beds, and one bath for you and your guests. Staying at this home, you’re a five-minute drive away from the city center, Mann Theatre, and the Philadelphia Zoo. Get a feel of a home environment right on the edge of a bustling city here!
Dog Friendly, Free Parking Home Close to Center City
This two-bedroom, one-bathroom, apartment is in a prime location to get a feel for the city and life right outside of it. The home is located close to major highways, public transportation, grocery stores, shopping, and more to have everything you may need and everywhere you want to explore. It’s also located in a pretty neighborhood of the city, adjacent to Fairmount Park!
Stylish & Modern Townhome
Experience this well-furnished, spacious, and private home perfect for a family and friends to stay for a weekend. The home sleeps five guests with two bedrooms and two bathrooms. With great access to a beloved area of the city, guests also have convenient access to the City Center, full of shops, unique restaurants, and historical spots including Independence Hall, Liberty Bell Center, Edgar Allan Poe National Historic Site, and more!
Living Area of Old Richmond Townhouse
Photo Credit: Plushy Host
Powelton Village/University City
The Rooftop Oasis
Steps away from Market Street stands this unit with an up-scale city vibe waiting for you to book! It’s a completely remodeled building and is a third-floor walkup to hold up to eight guests. The rooftop is completely designed with relaxation and entertainment in mind. Play board games with friends or family or watch the latest shows on the best channels. This unit is in a great central location, perfect to experience Philly nightlife and its top attractions.
Modern Townhouse with Roof Deck
This stylish home is waiting to welcome you to historic Manayunk! The home comfortably sleeps eight guests and has a bathroom on all three floors. In addition, the townhouse offers great views of the town on its rooftop deck, which is perfect at sunset or just enjoying the outdoors with family and friends. This location is only three blocks from the train station and just steps from Manayunk’s Main Street, featuring several restaurants and shops to explore.
Roof Deck of Townhouse in Manayunk
Photo Credit: Host Catherine
Spacious Loft a Few Blocks North of Center City
Bring six or fewer friends and family for a weekend of city living to this short-term rental! This loft includes three beds and two baths, along with discounted parking, outdoor space, a comfy living area, and more. Spring Garden is a quiet mid-to-late 19th-century-styled neighborhood that you’re bound to love with restaurants and bars nearby, and the city just steps away. It’s conveniently close to some of the city’s most historic neighborhoods as well, such as Old City and Society Hill.
West Elm Designed Home with Balcony
This aparthotel is located a stone’s throw away from City Center where the city’s most popular attractions are located such as dining, shopping, nightlife, and historic sites. This rental can host up to six people and includes a balcony for a great look at some of the city skyline. This is an ideal place for friends and family looking to experience Philadelphia living in a central location!
Modern Living Area
Photo Credit: Management Company Bespoke Stay
Discover More in Philly!
Need some assistance in finding activities, restaurants, shops, and more to explore? We are happy to help! Find some of the best brunch spots, the city’s finest chocolate shops, and more on our website for some of the top places to discover, eat, drink, shop, and explore.