It’s summertime and the livin’ is easy. We love Philadelphia all year round, but there is something special about summer in the city: pop-up beer gardens, special events, and unforgettable summer sunsets. Read on to see six reasons we love summers in Philadelphia.
1.) Pop-up Beer Gardens: Every week from April through September 30th Parks on Tap brings brews to 23 different local parks. It’s the place to find Philadelphia’s traveling beer garden. Parks on Tap works in partnership with Philadelphia Parks and Recreation and Fairmount Conservancy Park among others. Parks on top is an initiative aimed at engaging the community and give back to neighborhood parks. To check the summer schedule visit parksontap.com.
#CCDSips starts in one week! All summer, we’re asking people to tell us #HowISip. First up, @urphillypal! “Sips gives visitors and residents the opportunity to wind down after either a day of exploring or working. Any reason is a good a reason, but with Sips It’s doubly entertaining to be out having a nice time in Philly.” And- an insider tip for gramming Sips, straight from the ball pit @concoursedancebar : “The best kind of pictures don’t have you in it. Capture the fun! Whatever makes it fun for you.” #HowISip #Sips #Instaworthy #InstaTips #igers_philly #visitphilly #whyilovephilly
2. Center City Happy Hour: Every Wednesday in summer more than 75 bars and restaurants in Center City participate in the weekly happy hour promotion known as Center City Sips. Venues offer deeply discounted beverages like $4 beer, $5 wine and $6 cocktails alongside half-priced apps from 5 to 7 p.m. Center City District organizers put this together. Check out the participants on their website: https://www.centercityphila.org/explore-center-city/ccdsips
3. Running like Rocky: There are stunning views to be had for people who want to run the Fairmount Water Works or along Kelly Drive.
All summer long there are 5ks and marathons throughout the city.
There are even family-friendly inflatable runs coming to the city, the first is on June 23 at Citizen’s Bank Park. Another one is scheduled for October.
*Happening Tip, check Groupon for 5k discounts and specials
4. Showing LOVE for Dilworth: Love and Dilworth parks are great places for summer fun. Not only does Dilworth turn into a Sips venue every Wednesday from 5 to 7 p.m., but there is a DJ spinning jams until 8:30 p.m. There are also a few special Temple Take Over Nights presented by the Temple University Alumni Association. Stop by during daylight hours to let the kids cool off in the nearby fountains.
5. Special exhibits: This summer there are several special exhibits on in the city. One of our favorites is Extreme Bugs now on at the Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University, located at 1900 Benjamin Franklin Parkway.
*Happening Tip – Local libraries often offer free family passes to local museums. Double check the fine print. Sometimes there is an extra fee for special exhibits.
6. Philadelphia lights up the night: Not only are their lights to be seen hanging from the trees at places like Spruce Street Harbor Park on the Delaware River Waterfront there is also the Chinese Lantern Festival on through June 30 in Franklin Square. The festival is a showcase for culturally-inspired lantern sculptures and impressive Chinese acrobats.
Relax like this all week long at #sshp sustained by #Univest while enjoying brews and music. June 1 starts Philly Loves Beer Week + We Got the Beats DJ performances by Matthew Law and Rich Medina, then we’re adding flare Saturday with Art Star Pop Up Market and the Greensgrow Farmer’s Market, as well as Sunday’s with Pop-up Play! 🎉😍😊❤️ 🍻#visitphilly 📷: @coryjpopp