By Melissa Kaufman
With dipping temperatures, warm coats and the fall foliage at its peak, the flavors of autumn are now in full force at numerous area establishments. Whether you’re a fan of sweet treats like donuts, pies and ice cream, or you prefer savory comfort foods like shepherd’s pie, soups and hearty pastas, there is sure to be an option to satisfy one’s taste buds in Philadelphia this season. Pumpkin spice, caramel apple, and warm spices like cinnamon and nutmeg – you’ll find it all. Be sure to drop by one of these locations to get a taste of fall.
Cooler temperatures, changing leaves and even the departure of Daylight Savings Time may signal the arrival of warmer beverages and hearty meals, but it goes without saying that ice cream is still a much beloved and desired treat. Offering seasonal favorites including creamy pumpkin spice, caramel apple, cinnamon and many more, ice cream and other frosty treats are in full swing at these area locations:
116 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19106
(Tip: The Great Pumpkin Sundae made with REAL pumpkin ice cream is a seasonal favorite and is also available as vegan!)
9 W. Girard Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19123
(Tip: They offer Apple Pie Bar Ice Cream!)
Tubby Robot Ice Cream Factory
4369 Main Street, Philadelphia, PA 19127
(Tip: Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream is currently offered!)
1514 Frankford Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19125
(Tip: Enjoy Pumpkin Frozen Yogurt at this spot as an ice cream alternative!)
2491 Grant Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19114; 1900 MacDade Blvd, Folsom, PA 19033; 4670 Rt. 42 Turnersville, NJ 08012
(Tip: Enjoy a plethora of seasonal sweet treats, including Pumpkin Ice Cream, Autumn-Inspired Milkshakes – Apple Pie, Apple Pie Cheesecake, Pumpkin Cheesecake, Caramel Apple, Candy Apple Walnut and even more!)
Bassett’s Ice Cream
Reading Terminal Market 45 N. 12th Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107
(Tip: Sweeten your day with Pumpkin or Cinnamon Ice Creams or even a Fall Harvest Shake made with Sweet Cinnamon & Pumpkin Ice Creams with crushed sugar cone pieces!)
Little Baby’s Ice Cream
2311 Frankford Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19125; 19 South 12th Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107; Cherry Street Pier 121 N. Christopher Columbus Blvd, Philadelphia, PA 19106
(Tip: Indulge your pumpkin sweet tooth with offerings such as Pumpkin Napoleon, Pumpkin Latte, Pumpkin Speculoos, Sweet Potato Burnt Marshmallows Ice Creams, plus many more!)
Crisp & cool temperatures and an array of Fall-themed outdoor activities can create a yearning for a warm, sweet beverage. At these locations, warm up with beverages such as pumpkin spice, snickerdoodle, or maple lattes or even a spiced cappuccino and many more! Not looking for a warm beverage, but still long for the taste of coffee; enjoy a canned, cold/room temperature latte at one of these numerous locations:
Batter & Crumbs
1401 Reed Street, Philadelphia, PA 19146
(Tip: Warm up to the season vegan style with a Maple Oat or Pumpkin Spice Latte, customized with latte art!)
Le Pain Quotidien
1425 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19102; 801 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107; 1927 Callowhill Street, Philadelphia, PA 19130
(Tip: Enjoy an Organic Pumpkin Spice Latte!)
La Colombe Coffee Roasters
1335 Frankford Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19125; 1414 South Penn Square, Philadelphia, PA 19102; 130 South 19th Street, Philadelphia, PA 19103; 100 S. Independence Mall Blvd, Philadelphia, PA 19106
(Tip: Pop open a can of a seasonal favorite – Pumpkin Spice Draft Latte!)
Black & Brew
1523 East Passyunk Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19147
(Tip: Warm up with a Pumpkin Americano, Cinnamon Honey Matcha Latte or a Snickerdoodle Latte!)
1313 South 3rd Street, Philadelphia, PA 19147
(Tip: Indulge in a Pumpkin Pie Latte or Espresso Tonic!)
238 South 20th Street, Philadelphia, PA 19103; 5901 Wayne Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19144; 1900 South 15th Street, Philadelphia, PA; 2149 Catharine Street, Philadelphia, PA 19146
(Tip: Fill up on a Pumpkin Spice Latte or Spiced Cappuccino!)
Old City Coffee
221 Church Street, Philadelphia, PA 19106; 51 North 12th Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107; 1136 Arch Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107
(Tip: Pop in for a Pumpkin Spice Latte!)
Toast to the flavors of Fall with a pint, bottle or glass of Pumpkin beers/ales, Sweet Potato Ale or other seasonal brews at these local spots:
Evil Genius Beer Company
1727 North Front Street, Philadelphia, PA 19122
(Tip: Love chocolate and beer? Combine the two with a Trick or Treat Chocolate Pumpkin Porter!)
McGillin’s Olde Ale House
1310 Drury Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107
(Tip: Enjoy assorted Pumpkin Beers, Ales and more!)
The Sidecar Bar & Grille
2201 Christian Street (at 22nd Street), Philadelphia, PA 19146
(Tip: Indulge your sweet tooth in a Yuengling Hershey’s Chocolate Porter and/or various Pumpkin Beers & Ales!)
1201 Frankford Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19125
(Tip: Sip on a Sweet Potato Ale and/or Pumpkin Ale!)
2nd Story Brewing
117 Chestnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19106
(Tip: Stop on by for a Pumpkin Ale!)
Glory Beer Bar & Kitchen
126 Chestnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19106
(Tip: Another great spot for a Pumpkin Ale!)
901 North 2nd Street, Philadelphia, PA 19123
(Tip: Fill up on Pumpkin or Sweet Potato ales!)
Happening List Favorites
Bredenbeck’s Bakery: 2019 Philly Happening List Best Bakery Finalist
8126 Germantown Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19118
- A renowned Philadelphia bakery in existence since 1889, now nestled in Chestnut Hill, they are noted for a plethora of sweet treats and custom wedding cakes. Be sure to spot in and indulge your sweet tooth as they usher in their Autumn Menu chock full of the flavors home to the season.
- The Autumn Menu boasts Pumpkin, Apple Cinnamon, Honey Pear and Snickerdoodle cupcakes! Beyond cupcakes, delight in their featured individual-sized cakes offered as: Mocha Praline Bomb, Apple Bomb, and Turtle Cheesecake Squares!
Farmer’s Keep: 2019 Philly Happening List Best Healthy Winner & Best Kept Secret & Salad Finalists
10 South 20th Street, Philadelphia, PA 19103
- Located in the bustling Philadelphia Business District, Farmer’s Keep offers a fresh, seasonal take on the fall season. Delight in fall’s abundant harvest with Sweet Potato Brown Rice Pilaf, Herb Roasted Carrot Fries, Cranberry Stuffed Porkchops, and sides of Pumpkin Quinoa or Apple/Brussel Sprouts! It is truly “nature’s candy” at it’s finest, offering all gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free and nut-free specialties.
Honey’s Sit ‘N Eat: 2019 Philly Happening List Best Kid-Friendly Restaurant Finalist
2101 South Street, Philadelphia, PA 19146; 800 North 4th Street, Philadelphia, PA 19123
- In search of the childhood comfort foods and delicacies they both knew and loved, longtime couple, Jeb & Ellen, opened Honey’s Sit ‘N Eat in 2005. True to its name, it is a cozy spot where adults and children alike, truly do love to “sit ‘n eat!”
- Indulge in seasonal daily specials such as Pumpkin Pancakes topped with apples, pecans and cinnamon butter, or delight in a hearty brisket & polenta or Shepherd’s Pie full of ground beef and assorted, seasonal root vegetables. Warm up to the season with a steaming bowl of Honeynut Squash Soup made of roasted squash, maple syrup and crema, topped with a fried sage leaf. Looking to sample something even more unique? Order “secret menu” favorite, Mac and Cheese Pancakes.
Franklin Fountain: 2019 Philly Happening List Best Dessert Winner
116 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19106
- Take a nostalgic “taste” into history with a visit to the Franklin Fountain. A staple in Old City since 2004, experience pumpkin at its finest in the renowned, seasonal favorite, The Great Pumpkin Sundae! Comprised of pumpkin ice cream crafted with real, local pumpkin, it is then doused with a homemade caramel, garnished with both salted pecans and malt powder, then finished with whipped cream! Can’t do dairy or looking to avoid it? No problem! The sundae is also offered as a vegan option!
- Not a fan of pumpkin? Enjoy the fall flavors with a dish, cone or homemade waffle bowl with Maple Walnut Ice Cream crafted with English Walnuts in Pennsylvania Maple Syrup!
- Craving something sweet other than ice cream? Never fear, enjoy the taste of fall in an Apple Pie, made in house and bursting with local apples!
- Don’t forget to wash down those sweet treats or enjoy one on its own – seasonal favorite, Bauman’s Cider is served warm and doctored with seasonal warm spices!
Barry’s Buns: 2019 Philly Happening List Best Dessert Finalist
8221 Germantown Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19118
- Family-owned and operated by husband/wife team, Joel (also known as “Barry!”) and Jen, the Chestnut Hill bakery serves up sticky, seasonal delicacies and more!
- Delight in thick, rich Sticky Buns in Apple Crumb, Raisin, Pumpkin and other seasonal favorites.
- Though noted for their sticky buns, their Pumpkin Crumb Cake is a recent hit, selling out on many occasions.
- Even enjoy a breakfast favorite as dessert; their Waffles are a decadent treat, offered in a Caramel Apple Crumb (a liege waffle topped with apple filling, crumb topping and dulce de leche drizzle), a S’mores flavor, among numerous others!
- Be sure to try a traditional favorite and take in a serving of fruit; a Caramel Apple offered with various coatings, including sprinkles and assorted nuts.
Nick’s Bar & Grille: 2019 Philly Happening List Best Burger Winner
16 South 2nd Street, Philadelphia, PA 19106
- Feel at ease in this Old City-based establishment, noted for their “laid-back vibe.” Enjoy Thanksgiving all season and even year-long, in their “Thanksgiving All Year Long” Sandwich! Chock-full of house-baked Turkey, Stuffing, Gravy & Cranberry Sauce, you’ll be filled to the brim with holiday fare.
- Wash down the savory tastes of the season with a Pumpkin Martini garnished with a graham cracker rim, so flavorful it earned a national mention by popular media outlet, Buzzfeed!
Federal Donuts: 2019 Philly Happening List Best Doughnut Winner
Various Locations: 1219 Second Street, Philadelphia, PA 19147; 3428 Sansom Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104; within Whole Foods, 2101 Pennsylvania Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19130; 1632 Sansom Street, Philadelphia, PA 19103; 701 North 7th Street, Philadelphia, PA 19121; 540 South Street, Philadelphia, PA 19147; Citizens Bank Park & Wells Fargo Center
- Founded by an award-winning team of culinary experts and restauranteurs, Federal Donuts is hailed as one of the city’s sweetest spots and ideal way to celebrate each season, donut-style!
- Offering more traditional style donuts, referred to as “Hot Fresh,” and “Fancy Donuts,” offered exclusive, unique and seasonal options, all are served hot, fresh and pulled right from the fryer!
- Celebrate fall with Federal Donuts by enjoying a “Fancy Donut” served in Apple Crisp, Pumpkin Spice Latte flavors and more! Don’t forget to try their “Hot Fresh” donuts offered in Cinnamon Brown Sugar, as an ode to the spices of the season. Flavors rotate often, so be sure to stop in before a seasonal favorite enters hibernation!
Mercato BYOB: 2019 Philly Happening List Best BYOB Finalist
1216 Spruce Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107
- With a diverse menu rotating to honor the seasons (monthly, weekly, or sometimes, even daily!), Mercato offers a unique spin on Italian-American dishes with an emphasis on quality and seasonal ingredients.
- Join them for a savory taste of fall with offerings including: Crispy Pumpkin Gnocchi with Brown Butter, Sage & Dried Cranberries; Roasted Carrot & Ginger Soup; Tuscan Kale & Pink Lady Apple Salad topped with a Maple Cider Vinaigrette or Butternut Squash Agnolotti. Complete your meal with a sweet ending to honor Fall, with an Apple Galette, Pumpkin Cheesecake, Poached Pears or even a Pumpkin Cannoli!