It seems everyone is in on the CBD game these days. But what exactly is it, and why should you stop in your local shop to check it out? First off CBD (which stands for cannabidiol) is widely used to treat anxiety, but there’re several other benefits it offers. Derived from the Cannabis Sativa plant, CBD is not tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) — the active ingredient in marijuana that causes a high.
Instead, CBD has been used for centuries to treat anxiety, depression, post-traumatic stress disorder, and promote better sleep. There’s even a clinical trial testing CBD in children and teenagers with drug-resistant epilepsy. From athletes to parents experiencing back-to-school stress and even animals, CBD can be an easy, effective solution for many.
“The most common uses I hear are use as sleep aid, anxiety and pain and recovery,” David Christian, a Bucks County native who now has hemp farms and a CBD company called Montkush, tells us via e-mail.
“The sleep and anxiety are tied together. CBD balances your mood, helping people fall asleep faster and stay in a deeper sleep longer. In terms of pain and recovery, CBD is has proven anti-inflammatory properties. So after workouts, you recover quicker and with less inflammation and less pain.”
Those aren’t the only uses for CBD, though. There are some pretty unique uses according to David. “My buddy Spencer Pratt from the TV show The Hills rubs it on his dog’s sore muscles three times a day. He gives the same CBD to his mom for aches and pain.” Cancer patients have benefitted from using CBD products, too.
“Another friend of mine Ethan Zohn who won Survivor Africa uses it to reduce anxiety related to his cancer recovery,” David tells us. “It has been approved by the FDA to reduce seizures. Another buddy uses it to reduce ticks from his Tourettes. It sounds like a cure-all, but it really is helping so many people with so many different ailments. It all ties back to balancing your mood and reducing inflammation.”
How to shop for CBD
There are a few factors to look for when shopping for CBD products, including:
- The other ingredients in the product. David says the highest-quality CBD comes from chemical extraction and is solvent-free.
- The manufacturer and distributor. “Another great way to know if you’re getting a clean product is to look for the USDA Certified Organic symbol,” says David.
- Suggested use. “There are so many ways to take it or use it now,” David explains. “Sweet gummies that taste like candy, gelcaps like a multivitamin, topical rubs, and more. There’s something for everybody and you can dial in your dosage to what works for you and your body.”
- Whether it’s full-spectrum, broad, or isolate. David suggests trying a “Full Spectrum” CBD that has all the cannabinoids and terpenes present as well as traces of the minor cannabinoid in low concentrations. The presence of all the minor cannabinoids makes the CBD more effective.
- A batch or date code for reference. Knowing this information will help ensure you’re buying a CBD product that boasts a naturally potent concentration of CBD.
Where To Buy CBD In & Around Philly
- Montkush — You can order on line from this American farm that has 116 acres dedicated to growing the purest CBD possible. Montkush’s offerings include topical CBD applications, CBD oils, CBD gummies, and CBD soft gels.
- Ethos Dispensary — Ethos is a fine purveyor of CBD products in Montgomery County. Located at 921 Bethlehem Pike in Montgomeryville, you’ll find CBD products of all kinds from flowers and topicals to ingestible products and more.
- Your CBD Store — Founded by Rachael Quinn, Your CBD Store offers products made with hemp grown in the USA. This phytocannabinoid-rich hemp has a naturally high cannabinoid level, and an abundance of other cannabinoids (CBG, CBN, CBC) to give you a well-rounded experience. Find them at 325 W Main St. in Lansdale, PA.
- Deep Six CBD — Located at 160 N Gulph Rd. in King of Prussia, you’ll find some of the biggest variety in CBD products at Deep Six. From CBD lollipops and cookies to chocolate bars, Deep Six CBD offers ingestible items as well as traditional CBD products like tinctures, vapes, and creams.
- Smooth Roots CBD — This shop has two great locations: one at 110 S Main St, New Hope, PA and another at 120 S State St, Newtown, PA. Both locations offer the highest quality CBD brands and products.
- Hemperiffic CBD — Located at 1443 Snyder Avenue, Philadelphia, Here you’ll find teas, sleep aids, bath bombs, roll-on oils, candles and more.
All of the above locations adhere to high-quality standards, from hemp growth to how the CBD is sourced and extracted. With so many knowledgeable CBD experts and various CBD applications available, it’s easy to incorporate CBD into your lifestyle this fall.
“The one thing people need to know about CBD is you will miss it when your bottle runs out!” David concludes.