This weekend, November 20 through 22, thousands will be participating in the 22nd annual GORE-TEX® Philadelphia Marathon. Those not participating should be mindful that there will be a number of streets closed throughout the city due to the event.
Some of the areas that will be impacted include:
- The Benjamin Franklin Parkway Friday, November 20 through Sunday, November 22
- Citywide along the 26.2-mile route of the Philadelphia Marathon on Sunday, November 22
- I-676 off-ramps at 22nd Street (westbound) and 23rd Street (eastbound) will be closed on Sunday, November 22 after 4:00 a.m. for event security preparation. Ramps at 15th/Broad may also close, if needed.
Friday, November 20
The inner drives of the Benjamin Franklin Parkway will be closed, from 9:30 a.m. until 3:30 p.m., on Friday, November 20. At 3:30 p.m., the westbound lanes will be opened for the afternoon rush hour. At 6:30 p.m., the inner lanes of the Benjamin Franklin Parkway will be closed continuously, from 6:30 p.m. on Friday, November 20 through the completion of Marathon Weekend on Sunday, November 22, and will reopen on Sunday, November 22 at 6 p.m.
Saturday, November 21
Street closures will be in effect for the Rothman Institute 8K and Kids Fun Run on Saturday, from 4 a.m. until 2 p.m., along the Benjamin Franklin Parkway, between 18th to 25th streets, and also on Martin Luther King Drive. Signage labeled “no parking” will be posted in the Parkway area, and elsewhere, along the race course in advance. On Saturday, the vicinity near 18th Street and the Parkway, and the Logan Circle area will be closed to vehicular traffic until 11 a.m.
Sunday, November 22
For the Half and Full Marathons, due to enhanced security, City of Philadelphia “no-parking” regulations will be enforced strictly and all vehicles on the race route will be towed, beginning at 2 a.m. on Sunday. In addition, on Sunday, the Parkway, from 18th to 25th streets, will be closed, from 3 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Other streets along the race course will reopen as runners pass by and the streets are cleaned.
- 18th Street, from Arch to Callowhill streets
- 19th Street, from Arch to Callowhill streets
- 20th Street, from Arch to Callowhill streets
- 21st Street, from Spring Garden to Arch streets
- 22nd Street, from Spring Garden to Arch streets
- Benjamin Franklin Parkway, from 22nd to 16th streets
- Arch Street, between 16th to 4th streets
- 4th Street Arch to Vine streets
- Race Street, from 4th Street to Columbus Boulevard
- Columbus Boulevard (Southbound lanes), Vine Street to Washington Avenue
- Southbound off-ramp, from I-95 at Washington Avenue
- Washington Avenue, from Columbus Boulevard to Front Street
- Front Street, from Washington Avenue to South Street
- South Street, Front to 6th streets
- 6th Street, Bainbridge to Market streets
- Chestnut Street, 6th to 34th streets
- 34th Street, Chestnut Street to Girard Avenue
- Lansdowne Drive, Girard Avenue to South Concourse Drive
- South Concourse Drive, Lansdowne Drive to West Memorial Hall Drive
- West Memorial Hall Drive, South Concourse to Avenue of the Republic
- Avenue of the Republic, West Memorial Hall Drive to Centennial Circle
- Black Road
- Martin Luther King Drive
- Kelly Drive
- The Falls Bridge
- Ridge Avenue, Schoolhouse Lane to Manayunk Avenue
- Main Street, from Ridge Avenue to Green Lane
For more information on the marathon, click here.