The best way to enjoy the Academy Awards is from the couch with a smorgasbord of delicious snacks and drinks at your fingertips.
Philly Happening’s Oscar’s party recipe selections are simple yet classy. Minimal time will be spent in the kitchen, leaving you more time to enjoy the show from the best seat in the house.
Hollywood Meat and Cheese Platter
Traditional, tried and true!
Meat suggestions: Prosciutto, sweet salami, Chorizo
Cheese suggestions: Beemster, a sharp cheddar, Brie, Manchego
Preserves suggestions: apricot jam, jalapeno jam, mango chutney
Other suggestions: bread, crackers, almonds, olives
Red Carpet Spicy Tuna Tartare Bites
Light, refreshing, and delicious!
(photo credit skinnytaste.com)
- 8 oz sushi grade ahi tuna, finely chopped
- 2 tsps pure sesame oil
- 1 tsp rice wine
- 2 tsp fresh lime juice
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp Sriracha hot sauce (to taste)
- 2 tbsp chives, minced
- 2 tbsp panko crumbs
- 1 ripe, firm hass avocado, diced
- 1 tsp black and white sesame seeds
- cucumber slices
Combine sesame oil, rice wine, lime juice, soy sauce and sriracha. Pour over tuna and mix. Add chives and gently combine tuna with diced avocado, refrigerate until ready to serve. Add panko crumbs just before serving and top with sesame seeds. Scoop onto cucumber slices.
Expert tip: Tela’s Market, 1833 Fairmount Ave., is a great place to pick up high-quality, fresh tuna. http://telasmarket.com/
Academy-Award-Winning Shaved Asparagus and Chicken Salad
Healthy, Tasty, and Light!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
1 medium shallot, thinly sliced crosswise
1/2 bunch green asparagus (about 8 medium stalks)
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
freshly ground pepper
2 cups arugula
1 large beefsteak tomato, cut in 1/4-inch cubes
1/2 ounce feta, crumbled
juice of 1 lemon
1 tablespoon parsley, coarsely chopped
1-package of pre-cooked grilled chicken strips
Trim an inch off the root end of the asparagus.Using a vegetable peeler and starting from the root end, shave the asparagus into thin ribbons (6-8 large stalks should yield about a cup).
In a medium nonstick skillet, heat 2 teaspoons olive oil over medium-high heat, then add the thinly sliced shallot. Cook for 1 minute, until shallot has softened slightly. Add asparagus ribbons, season with kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, and cook for 2 minutes, tossing occasionally, until asparagus is crunchy, not soft. Transfer asparagus mixture to a medium mixing bowl, add arugula, chopped tomato, feta, lemon juice, parsley, chicken, and toss.
Expert tip: Pre-cooked grilled chicken strips can be purchased from Trader Joe’s, 2121 Market Street, http://www.traderjoes.com/.
Oscar’s Mother’s Ruin Cocktail
Quick, Cold, and Classy!
Serves 4 to 6
- 3tablespoons loose cinnamon-orange tea (they use Market Spice)
- One750 milliliter bottle sweet vermouth (they use Martini)
- 8white sugar cubes
- 2ounces club soda
- 4ounces gin (they use Plymouth)
- 2ounces tea-infused sweet vermouth
- 4ounces grapefruit juice
- 2ounces lemon juice
- 3ounces dry Champagne
- Grapefruit wheels, for garnish
- Stir the bottle of vermouth and tea together. Let stand at room temperature for about an hour and a half, stirring occasionally. Strain liquid through cheesecloth-lined sieve.
- In a pitcher or medium container, muddle the sugar cubes with the club soda until the sugar is broken up. Add everything else, except the Champagne. Fill the container with ice. Stir until cold, then strain into a punch bowl over a large block of ice. (Alternatively, serve in individual glasses or Mason Jars over ice.)
- Top with Champagne, and garnish with a grapefruit wheels.
Expert tip: For some extra flavor and flair, garnish with a cinnamon stick!