Earlier this month the World Meeting of Families – Philadelphia 2015 and The City of Philadelphia Mural Arts Program announced plans to create a mural, sponsored by Wells Fargo & Company, honoring the World Meeting of Families and the historic visit of Pope Francis to Philadelphia in September 2015.
Inspired by the theme of the World Meeting of Families – Philadelphia 2015, “Love is Our Mission: The Family Fully Alive,” the mural will be titled The Sacred Now: Faith and Family in the 21st Century. It will be displayed on the external walls of Saint Malachy School, an Independence Mission School, located in North Philadelphia.
Renowned muralist Cesar Viveros, who designed the 4,239 square feet work of art, says the mural is aimed at capturing the powerful impact of “relationship, interaction, constructivism, actions, inclusion, compassion, and every moment of life that gives us the opportunity to share who we are by living this mission of love.”
In accordance with his vision, Mr. Viveros’ mural, created from 153 individual panels measuring 5’ x 5’ in size, will be installed across three sections of the building comprising Saint Malachy School to become the final mural.This technique of creating mural panels individually allows – and encourages – community members across the region to participate in painting the mural before it is installed on Saint Malachy School.
A series of “Paint Days,” co-sponsored by the World Meeting of Families – Philadelphia 2015 and the Mural Arts Program will be held at the following sites:
- Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (University City)
- Divine Providence Village Day Services Program at Our Lady of Fatima Parish, Secane (Delaware County)
- Father Judge High School & Saint Hubert Catholic High School for Girls (Northeast Philadelphia; “Paint Day” Location at Father Judge High School)
- Holy Family Regional Catholic School (Bucks County)
- Little Sisters of the Poor Holy Family Home (West Philadelphia)
- Saint Helena Parish (North Philadelphia)
- Saint Malachy School (North Philadelphia)
- The Joseph Fund (Camden, NJ)
Stay tuned for the exact dates of the “Paint Days.” Select panels will also be reserved so that the World Meeting of Families Congress participants from around the world can participate in painting portions of the mural at thePennsylvania Convention Center from September 22-25, 2015. It is expected that this vibrant mural will be completed in November 2015.